Friday, March 30, 2012

First Post

This is my first post on my first blog.  I would like this blog to be about a lot of things... technology, gender, music, pop culture, and politics.  This will be a place for me to sort through things and maybe share some of my favorite music, poetry, and art.  I guess to start out, I'll post a poem by Ursula le Guin.  I'll let it speak for itself for now.


For Karl and Jean


Consider the action of writing
short lines as the action
of grabbing at straws, of drawing
as hoping you draw the long straw,
of carving as bringing the world
to be by short hard repeated
blows; consider the act
of considering as will to continue
to be. The old violinist
has crossed the gulf of the decades
on a highwire of catgut. Consider
the lovely devices of living
to which we are driven, driven.


-From Hard Words (1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment